RYA Professional Practices and Responsibilities Course PPR
RYA Professional Practices and Responsibilities
A compulsory online course for new and revalidating RYA Commercial Endorsement holders.
Each year approximately 4,500 people apply to the RYA for a commercial endorsement in order to use their RYA qualifications professionally as skipper or crew. You could be doing anything from delivering a new 35’ yacht or driving a workboat with lifting and towing gear, to running a superyacht in the Med. Whatever your job is on board, in the commercial world you are a professional seafarer. As such, you are no different from the captain of a cruise liner – you have a duty of care to crew, passengers, and other water users, and you will be held to account if things go wrong.
This course is designed to give you a better understanding of your obligations and the rules and regulations under which you operate in the commercial maritime world. More importantly, it will teach you where to find the information you need to ensure that you are operating within the law.
You can complete the course and assessment at your own pace and in the comfort of your home or office.
The course is broken down into four modules:
- Commercial environment - how you fit into the professional maritime world.
- People – the importance of correct manning, keeping your skills up to date and the safe management of commercial vessels.
- Vessel – the compulsory carriage and maintenance of safety equipment and how to create and implement risk control and operating procedures. ·
- Purpose – making sure your vessel is suitable and legal for the work you are carrying out, your obligations in protecting the environment, appropriate planning and situational awareness.
To enroll onto the course, you need to:
- Select RYA Professional Practices and Responsibilities below -
We will then register you, create a 'Student user account' for you and send you a unique URL, your username and password.
You are then ready to start.
If you want to read around the subject, or go into more depth, there is a wide range of reading material, exercises, and learning aids to help meet your learning requirments. You can use the links below.
Page Sub Menu
Pick your Sailing Holiday
Search the web site.
- The Best Tall Ship for you?
- Test your Tall Ship Knowledge
- Contact us - Ask a Skipper
- Special Offers
- 2017 Voyages
- How to Book
- Top Tips
- All Vessels Dates and Prices
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Brochures and Documents
- Gift Vouchers
- News Stories
- Flight Centre
- Travel Insurance
- Customer Comments
- Charts of the World
- Terms and Conditions